An untethered isoperimetric soft robot
Our research on isoperimetric soft robots was published in Science Robotics. This work presents a constant edge-length, inflatable, robotic truss capable of dramatic shape change and untethered operation. The research was conducted by Nathan S. Usevitch, Zachary M. Hammond, Mac Schwager, Allison M. Okamura, Elliot W. Hawkes, and Sean Follmer. Our robots were featured in Stanford News, The Current, IEEE Spectrum, CNN, Medium, Digital trends, Inverse, Syfy, TechRepublic, New Atlas, Unite AI, SlashGear, Core 77, heise, cnBeta, RSVN, Хайтек, and others. Read more about this work.
Lawrence's PhD Defense
Congratulations to Lawrence Kim on successfuly defensing his dissertation! Lawrence defended his doctoral thesis titled, ‘Designing In-situ Interaction with Ubiquitous Robots’. Read more details or watch the video recording:
Zack, Nathan, and Sean present at BARS
Zack, Nathan, and Sean present and demo the isoperimetric soft robot at the Bay Area Robotics Symposium in Berkeley, CA.
Increasing access to 3D modeling through touch-based display
In our latest project we collaborated with members of the blind and visually impaired community to develop a touch-based display and application that makes 3D modelling more accessible. This work was done with Alexa F. Siu, Son Kim, Joshua A. Miele, and Sean Follmer. The work received a Best Paper nomination at ASSETS 2019 and was featured in Stanford News, TechCrunch, Core77, and others. Read more about the work published at ASSETS 2019 or watch the video below:
- An untethered isoperimetric soft robot
- Lawrence's PhD Defense
- Zack, Nathan, and Sean present at BARS
- Increasing access to 3D modeling through touch-based display
- Dr. Choi: shape lab's first PhD alumni
- HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN SAFE-TO-TOUCH DRONE CAGE
- Happy End of 2018!
- shapeShift honorable mention at the 2018 Fastco Design Awards
- 2018 Retreat
- CHI 2018
- shapeShift on WSJ
- Haptics Symposium 2018
- Happy End of 2017!
- Awards @UIST 2017
- New publication to ISS 2017
- Meet UbiSwarm
- Zooids featured in Fastco Design
- TTL In Review (2016-2017)
- 2017 Retreat
- shape lab goes to ICRA'17
- spaghetti lunch
- Many Awards @UIST 2016
- MECON 2016
- Shape-shifting tech will change work as we know it